This is a big deal! You have to get here, right?
This page of Travel FAQs will help you do just that!
Fair warning, it is going to sound pretty complicated, at first. That’s ok, we are here to help. Once you get off the airplane, on our airstrip, it wont seem too difficult at all. There are numerous options, but the end result is YOU are HERE, with us.
Chisana is located deep inside the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve, in a fly in area. It was the site of the last historic gold rush. Remote and accessible only by small bush plane, Chisana has remained, untouched by commercial tourism.
These steps will help you along the way.
First, Alaska! (pick one)
- Driving to Tok, Alaska? (This will take you to a post that gives directions.)
- Fly into Anchorage, Alaska.
- Fly into Fairbanks, Alaska.
You are in Alaska! Now, you need to come to Chisana. You will, no matter how you choose, fly into Chisana.
First, though, you will need to choose to charter an aircraft from Fairbanks or Anchorage, or only fly the last leg, the one that will bring you to Chisana and Pioneer Outfitters.
40 Mile Air offers charter services into Chisana. (907)-883-5191
Wright Air Service offers charter services into Chisana. (907) 474-0502
- Fly into Anchorage or Fairbanks. (The drive, by renting a car or taking a shuttle bus from either is awesome, but the drive in from Anchorage is incredible.)
- Fly (charter) or shuttle from Anchorage or Fairbanks to Tok.
- Fly into Chisana! (Yipee, You are HERE!!)
As with any convenience, new problems arise. The return of your packages back to your home is your responsibility. We would be happy to put them on the twice weekly mail plane for you as long as the boxes are resealed, labeled for return, the return postage has been left with the Tok Post office or Terry Overly (or his Manager) and left at the Lodge.
If you choose to mail your gear, please address it to yourself, in care of (C/O) Pioneer Outfitters, Post Office Box CZN, Tok, Alaska, 99780.